Opportunity Name: EBS gp2 to gp3 migration
AWS Resource Type: AWS EBS (Elastic Block Store)
Opportunity Description: A featured optimization in CloudFix is the migration of applicable Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS) General Purpose gp2 volumes to gp3. EBS gp3 volumes offer cost-effective storage that is ideal for a broad range of workloads.
In 2020, AWS introduced the next-generation general purpose SSD volumes for EBS called gp3. EBS gp3 volumes provide a better value than gp2 – gp3 volumes are cheaper, and offer higher maximum throughput rates while maintaining the same high levels of durability and availability. You can also provision IOPS and throughput separate from the storage capacity with gp3.
At CloudFix, we thoroughly tested this opportunity and strongly recommend migrating gp2 volumes with less than 3000 IOPS to gp3. This will save you approximately 20% in costs while maintaining at least the same performance as gp2.
Criteria for identifying the opportunity: CloudFix monitors EBS volume usage and analyzes metrics to identify EBS gp2 volumes that are apt for migration to the gp3 volume type. Factors considered are:
- Select only gp2 volumes
- Select volumes that are NOT short-lived (<2 weeks of existence = short-lived) because short-lived volumes are not worth optimizing
- Select volumes for which peak IOPS is less than 3K and peak throughput is less than 125 MB/s
- CloudFix does not exceed gp3 baseline rates to avoid any possible performance degradation.
- CloudFix fetches peak metrics for Nitro based instances and estimates peak metrics for other instances using the sum metric.
- Select only elastic volumes, where no downtime is expected
- All volumes attached since 4th November 2016 are elastic, meaning that they support migration to gp3 without requiring downtime and the majority of volumes are elastic.
Potential savings (range in % on annual basis):
For volumes with less than 3000 IOPS, gp3 volumes are 20% cheaper than gp2 with no loss of performance
Can CloudFix implement the fix automatically once I accept the recommendation?
Yes. EBS gp2 to gp3 migration is automatic – once you accept the recommendation and schedule the fix, execution is automatic. As an extra precaution, CloudFix takes a snapshot of the EBS gp2 volume before migrating it to gp3.
Is it possible to rollback once CloudFix implements the fixer?
Manual rollback on your AWS account is possible. One-click rollback via CloudFix for this opportunity is currently not available.
Does this fix require downtime?
No. EBS gp2 to gp3 migration via CloudFix does not require any downtime. It is executed as a zero downtime fix.